Medical records software helps medical practices and healthcare providers to save lives and provide high-quality care to their patients. Custom-designed applications improve workflow and patient outcomes in all types of healthcare organizations from single clinics to regional health networks.
If you’re looking for a medical records software solution for your organization, you can choose a packaged solution or hire a reputable development firm that has experience developing practice management, EHR/EMR systems and mobile patient portals.
What Are the Major Types of Medical Records Software?
Modern medical practice depends heavily on efficient software for virtually all aspects of healthcare from booking appointments to outpatient care. Here’s a brief description of three main categories of medical software and the benefits they offer.
1. Practice Management
This type of software helps providers manage administrative processes efficiently. They optimize workflows and reduce the time and money needed to coordinate patient care. Some of the applications in this category include:
- Scheduling: This allows patients to book appointments online through their mobile devices.
- Billing: This automates bill payments and the filing of insurance claims.
- ePrescription: This solution makes it easy for physicians to send patient prescriptions to pharmacies electronically. This saves time, helps check for adverse drug effects and prevents interpretation errors due to poor handwriting.
2. EMR/EHR Systems
An electronic medical record system is the digital version of the paper files and charts used traditionally to keep patient history, diagnostic, lab test and treatment records. It makes patient history accessible to different doctors within and outside the organization. An electronic health record (EHR) performs the same function as an EMR but with more features for data sharing and transfer.
3. Patient Portals
Patient portals give patients access to their health information including diagnosis, test results and prescription details. They also provide detailed information about various medical conditions that the patient may be interested in. Patient portals serve as tools for continuous patient education. In addition, they serve as a portal for:
- Booking appointments
- Making consultations
- Paying medical bills
- Providing feedback for treatment
Why Should You Build New Medical Records Software?
Well-designed medical records software offers everyone involved in healthcare a variety of benefits, from patients to clinicians and the owners of the health institution.
Benefits for Patients:
- Ability to book appointments from the comfort of their homes
- Quick and efficient communication with physicians
- Prompt access to medical history and lab results
- Shorter waiting times to receive treatment
- Better treatment outcomes
- Fewer errors in medical treatment
Benefits to Clinicians:
- Reduced paperwork
- Faster access to patient medical history
- Easier management of treatment documentation
- Better decision making and creation of more effective treatment plans
- Better prescription management
Benefits to Healthcare Organizations:
- Improved diagnosis with more comprehensive patient records
- Reduced costs with automation of record-keeping tasks
- Better patient engagement and satisfaction
- Faster payment of bills by insurance providers
Those are some of the benefits that key stakeholders in healthcare organizations can gain when medical records software is properly designed and implemented.